Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Stuffing!!!!!

So, my mother-in-law's recipe for stuffing really doesn't call for 4 pounds of butter. But that's what I buy every year because of the way my husband wrote it down when he asked his mother how to make stuffing about 20 years ago. I always swear it says 3-4 lbs of butter and it's really 3/4 lbs of butter. Logically that makes more sense, but my husband always said there's lots of butter in here and that makes it good. So I always buy the larger quantity of butter knowing we'll use it if I'm wrong and bought too much.

My mother-in-law was talking a mile a minute and my husband was writing it down on any available piece of paper; notepad, scraps, envelopes and post-its. There are even several colors of ink. It's all now stained with butter! I finally scanned it so I could keep it for posterity. But all the original pieces are still in my recipe book. I don't think anyone else ever wrote it down. It was a "secret" recipe passed woman to woman. But I think we're beyond that now. I don't make it, my husband does!

I'm sure the original recipe was passed on from several generations and has had changes made along the way. But this is how we make it. Our adult children crave it at the holidays and our son's wife just asked us how to make it. So here is the recipe. Good luck interpreting it and trying to read it, I never can. I hope you have other recipes to use that extra butter with.

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Yeah....right.......
    That's the very reason I told Jason it's going to have to wait another year or so. When Dad translates that mess and types it out so I can understand it, I'll follow the recipe and make it just fine. I can't go from memory on that one....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you understand why I couldn't just send you the recipe. I guess in a way it's still a secret. It's written in code.....

    ReplyDelete