Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wine Words

My husband, Boyd loves to describe how the wine tastes when we are imbibing. Sometimes he overuses a term or two like chewy and legs.

We went to Napa for our 27th wedding anniversary to tour the wineries. At the first winery I grabbed a mailing list card and a pen as we started tasting. We took the first sip and Boyd said, "robust." I wrote it down. My first mistake was telling him what I was doing. When I explained I was going to write down all the descriptive wine words he said on our trip, he may have been a little annoyed and was oddly quiet about the first few wines. I had to pry it out of him. It actually became quite hilarious by the end of the trip and six wineries later. Some quotes are from Boyd, some from me, some from our wine hosts. Enjoy, we did!

Black Stallion:
  • Robust
  • Thin
  • Not very pleasing
  • No taste
  • Smokey
  • Liquored up on the first four

    Clos du Val:
  • It's vanilla!
  • Tannin finish
  • yeah
  • I prefer a wine you can pour and drink now

    Folie a Deux/Napa Cellars:
  • Very drinkable
  • This is kinda growin' on me
  • Let's switch
  • But I haven't tasted it yet
  • I know that smell
  • This has cinnamon
  • A little spice

    St. Supery's (Clearly we had too much wine by the time we got here):
  • Grapefruit
  • She looks professional
  • Fuller
  • Mouthier
  • Taste is still growing
  • It's awesome
  • Bolder
  • Let's switch
  • I haven't tasted it yet
  • As Randy Jackson would say, "It's all right dude."
  • It's awesome
  • Mark that one
  • Kicks it
  • Made for lamb chops
  • Something gamey
  • Hella good wine

    I think when you quote Randy Jackson or describe wine as "hella good" you should stop tasting, but oh no, not us.

    V. Suttui: We didn't wine taste here. We shopped for lunch in their deli and bought wine cork candles in their gift shop and then ate lunch on the lawn. We were in desperate need of food. Great cheeses and deli food there and a lovely area to eat your lunch in.

    Franciscan:
  • Creamy
  • Sweet
  • Huh
  • Oh dear that's really good
  • Now she's snorting
  • I'm at a loss of words
  • Embraceable
  • Bastards (This is a very descriptive word for I have to buy this really expensive wine!)

    I think we bought two bottles of wine at Franciscan. It wasn't even one of our planned stops. It put us way over budget.

    We were done, the wineries were closing. We bought almost a case of wine. We had consumed too much wine, lunch, a bag of fritos and a can of bean dip and we had spent way too much money but we had a lot of fun in the process and made many people laugh at the wineries.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment