Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Man with the Funny Hat


My inspiration for the day is Auri Naggar. This is Auri at the haunted house at the Pumpkin Festival 2007. He is the director of Young Actor's Workshop. My kids went to his classes when they were younger and I'm still on the board of directors. He teaches through improv theater and has brought so much talent out of kids that didn't even know they had it. He showed me that in the midst of chaos lies creativity. He also hosts the OpenMic at Cameron's Pub in Half Moon Bay, Calif every Thursday night. I've seen him encourage people to get up on stage for years and let what's inside come out. He is an inspiration to all who meet him.

The man with the funny hat said,
“What number do you want?”
“None I cried,”
my fear of speaking spoke.

He pushed on,
“What number do you want?”
Brushing him off, without a thought,
the thought seeped in.
What number do I want?
What do I want?

A piece of me upon the stage,
my twist on life to be known.
What number do I want?

The number that lets me
speak out loud, without fear.
The number that opens
up my world.
The number that assuages
my fear.

But, oh, that is the way he works.
I’ve seen it time and time again.
I love the wonders that he brings out.
His purpose, his part, his role,
to get those to take their number and
spill their soul.

Oh, the man in the funny hat.

-Kim Ritner
January 17, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment