Friday, December 5, 2008

New York, New York

My 20-year-old daughter is in New York City tonight. She’s their visiting friends and exploring the possibility of being a nanny for the next year. Oh to be 20 and free and exploring the city that never sleeps.

How is it that she get’s to go to New York before me? Ok, really I was there first. I flew to St Lucia in June and had to change planes in New York. We had breakfast in the airport at JFK. As we flew in over the morning sky, the skyline of New York loomed in front of us. I just knew that this was a city I needed to explore.

But my daughter is there for the weekend exploring Manhattan and has a job interview on Saturday. This is my wish come true for my children that they get to explore the world and find opportunities, take chances and become who they really want to be. Isn’t this the dream of everyone?

She visualized this every step of the way. She paid for herself, figured out where to stay and how to get there. Whether the job happens or not she saw what she wanted and made the path open up. No matter the outcome, it’s the journey, cliché as it may be. I admire her sheer guts for going to New York alone and taking on this challenge. You go girl.

3 comments:

  1. I envy her so much for chasing her dreams! I hope she does get to explore. I gave most of my dreams up when I decided Jason was more important than my career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha, Tell her she has to find a hobo with a sign that says "yell at me for $5" and then scream at the hobo and say "I'm in America, I can scream at whoever I want!" Do encourage her to run afterwards. But yeah, NYC is a giant playground. She will have lots of fun. I certainly do every time I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, didn't mean to sound bitter...but New York City scares me... everything is WAY too expensive there!

    ReplyDelete