Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Family Tree Grows


My nephew came a week early. Six pounds 19 1/2 inches long. Mom and baby are doing fine and it looks like dad is in love with his new son.

He came early because I bought plane tickets for next week to be there when he was scheduled to be born. My mom called last night and told me he's coming out in an hour and a half. I quickly concluded that I could not get get there that fast. It is a six to seven hour drive or an hour by plane. So I sat and waited by my cell phone. I got a call from my mom that said everyone was on their way to the hospital. My cousin, my aunt, my brother, my nieces, my niece's mom, my mom and dad and then all of the dad's side of the family. I guess that's what I miss most about not living near all my relatives. Everyone always shows up and supports each other at the drop of a hat. If I could have been there I would have been right there in the waiting room probably making a scene just by the sheer number of people that showed up to be there to welcome the newest member of our family. He's a lucky little boy to have such a great family to be born into.

Thank God for camera phones! I got text messages and photos almost instantly as events transpired. It helped make me feel part of the chaos of the waiting room. My mom said they were all sitting in the waiting room and all of a sudden they heard a lullaby come over the speakers. They asked what that was and were told every time a baby is born in the hospital they play a lullaby. The lullaby playing was for my nephew.

I'm making my plans now to get down there and see that baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment